Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My first attempt at price matching with Walmart

I'm finding that it's more difficult to get amazing deals on my weekly grocery shopping trip than I anticipated. I thought I had done really well (including having several coupons worth more than the product to lower total bill) but it still came to $32 pretax. Also, we had to replace a tire on my poor old minivan so my total was disappointingly - but necessarily - high in reality.

I went ahead and bought myself an NYC lip gloss for 1.72 with a dollar off coupon and a tube of childrens' toothpaste for 1.97 with a .75 coupon because I have noticed that kid toothpaste never seems free at the drug stores. Also, I had 2 $2 coupons for STP products and the one my hubby chose was only 1.83, so we made a few cents there. Total nonfood= $1.60

I was carefully keeping track of the amounts for the first half of the trip, and then fizzled out a bit. Hey, I'm new to using actual budgets... Milk was marked down to 2.99. I used price-matching to get the butter for 1.69 from Dillons ad and the Philadelphia cream cheese for 2 for $3 from Murfins, PLUS I had 2 $1 off cream cheese coupons. I also used price-matching for Oscar Mayer hot dogs which were advertised for $.99 and I had $1 off 2. I paid full price for lunch meat ($3) because we needed some. Also paid full price for two loaves of cheap sandwich bread (.83 each). I used price-matching one last time for the hot dog buns. I'm still hoping to pull off the lunchbox from Sara Lee even though they are trying to pull out of it. So another 1.50.
=12.82

Mission corn tortillas 3.00 - .75 = 2.25; Mission flour tortillas marked down to 1.50 - .75 = .75. Hot sauce 1.00, Old El Paso refried beans 1 each - .50 each. Tortilla chips (full price generic) 1.58. = 7.08

Hellman's mayonnaise was marked down to 2.39 and had a .75 peelie so we decided it was a worthwhile investment. And the KCMasterpiece was reduced to .67 each and I still had 3 $1 off coupons so we "made" .99 to reduce the bill. =.65

PIZZA. I love frozen pizza and the Totino's brand are cheap and fit perfectly in our convection toaster oven. This helps prevent us from eating out all the time, an old and tough habit to break.They were on sale for 1.98 each plus 1 Red Baron for 2.88 less a 1 coupon. = 9.80

Total cost: 31.95
Coupons used: 16.50.
Price-matching and price reductions savings: about 6

It is my intention NOT to do any more shopping this week and to do way better next week. But next week will also include a stock up on milk (Sam's sells it for about 2.50 here, and I can't seem to find a better deal anywhere around here). Otherwise I'm hoping to kick this week's butt! :)

1 comment:

  1. You found some great deals! Thanks for sharing your story over @ I Heart Coupon Deals. I wish you the best at working on your doctorate spending more time with your little ones! Being a stay at home mom is a lot harder than I ever thought it was going to be, but I absolutely love it! So glad to meet a local frugal shopper!

    ReplyDelete