Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What I Love About this New Lifestyle

Last year, paying for two kids in preschool was REALLY hard for us. And I was unhappy in my career and working lots of hours, so we were eating out a lot. This lethal combination killed our budget. What's saddest about this is that I hardly shopped at all (the mall and Hobby Lobby being my biggest budget killers of the past) and we worked on eating out less (though less for us was still a lot!) and we bought almost everything generic. I had bought clothes on clearance at the end of the seasons last year so my kids were well stocked for clothes and I had really been working on my professional wardrobe in previous years, so I was all set as well.

The saddest thing was that these things were not helping. We were still struggling to get by. So last month was my first month at home without any of the concerns I had as a teacher and I made arrangements to begin my doctorate in psychology this fall. Terrifying but exhilirating. Problem? Uhh, we're losing half our income! Thankfully our oldest begins kindergarten and I am fairly confident in our local school district so no cost there. I am still questioning how I would feel if we qualify for free or reduced lunches. Our son is a year younger so we will have to pay for part time care but I will be able to spend more time with him even after school starts.

So, back to what I'm loving so far!
*I am getting to purchase BRAND NAME items for well under the cost of their generic counterparts.
*Sometimes I get to shop for FREE. Sometimes I "make" money from shopping!
*I get to try new items. Today, for example, I got to have a delicious turkey sandwich on 7 grain deli flats by Pepperidge Farm which I purchased for .40. My daughter said it tasted like we were at Panera Bread!! Then when I was tidying, I got to spray Air Wick's Aqua Spray in Magnolia and Cherry Mist and it's fabulous! And FREE!
*When I made a new budget today, I actually have faith that I might be able to pull it off. Before, the prices kept going up while our income was stagnant and I knew from the beginning that the budgets I made were unattainable fluff.
*I get just about as much of a shopper's high (if not more on the free stuff) as I used to buying bargains at the mall (retail therapy and all that).
*My husband, while he still hates to shop, does not get nearly as cranky about it. In fact, he gets really excited when I bring home some of the new items (like above or a fancy razor or body wash for him).
*My kids are starting to "get it". I offered to take them to Toys R Us this week to check out the sale and my 5 year old said "And maybe we can get something if they have a really good deal?" And I laughed and agreed. (Unfortunately, we did not by anything. But Target has some GREAT dress up/imaginative play toys/clothes in their dollar spot right now!)

I am happier. I have a new obsession (I will admit to having been obsessed with my work as a teacher which pulled my attention away from home) that helps me focus on my family and benefits my family directly.

What do you love about the frugal/couponing life?

*Next post: FLYLADY is my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment